What is the best oboe/reed combination? 05:30 on Saturday, February 05, 2005
I have in mind 5 combinations of materials
1. Paper oboe, plastic reed
2. Grass oboe, chocolate reed
3. cat fur oboe, string reed
4. wood oboe, trumpet reed
5. Clay oboe, substituting a Buffet R-13 clarinet (I`m told they`re the best) for the reed
Would someone be so kind as to outline the advantages and disadvantages of the aforementioned combinations?
Re: What is the best oboe/reed combination? 09:56 on Saturday, February 05, 2005
well now ~ let me see...
(1. Paper oboe, plastic reed) - see, the paper oboe is alright [and actually is half-way decent with the right kind of reed], but you can *never* use a plastic oboe reed .. they are the most horrible things ever!
(2. Grass oboe, chocolate reed) - with a grass oboe, I`d be afraid someone would be back there smoking it ... and the chocolate reed wouldn`t work too well, because anyone dumb enough to sit there and try to *soak* it would (1) lose the reed and (2) look like an idiot
(3. cat fur oboe, string reed) actually that might work fairly well except for those people allergic to cat fur ... it might KILL them! but the string reeds are actually half-way decent, and MUCH better than plastic ones!
(4. wood oboe, trumpet reed) - wood oboe`s about the only way to go [plastic is the second choice, but you definately forgot it] .. yeah, a trumpet reed (whichever way you created it) would definitely not work unless you used an oboe reed for it, ya know!?
(5. Clay oboe, substituting a Buffet R-13 clarinet (I`m told they`re the best) for the reed) - clay oboe would work pretty well, I mean, clay can get hard as wood [would be easier to saw throuh though ] and would work ... but ya know, I`d never put ANYTHING clarinetish with oboe ~ oboes rock! clarinets are pretty cool ... but don`t mix the two .. it just WON`T work!
Re: What is the best oboe/reed combination? 22:49 on Saturday, February 05, 2005
Oh, sorry, I was talking about Felix person mabobber (Yes, I`m a pro at explaining ) And, I don`t know you trumpet newbie, I was just suspecting cause you and felix were the only ones who blabbered about trumpet reeds.