Mouth shape - making a sound
The following outlines the first steps to attaining a good mouth shape for trumpet playing.
- Keep your teeth slighly apart. Your lips should be only lightly touching.
Hold the lips as if about to say the 'M' in 'mother'.
- Blow to make your lips buzz.
- Now put the trumpet mouthpiece on your lips and make the same buzz into the center of the mouthpiece.
- To make a clear start to the sound you use your tongue. Start the next buzz with a 'T'. Do not put your tongue outside your lips -
it stays inside your mouth.
- Now try putting the mouthpiece into the instrument and try the same thing- you should be able to produce a note.
Things to watch out for:
Do not stick your lips out as if blowing a kiss!
- Do not puff your cheeks out when blowing
- Do try to breathe from your stomach - when you take a deep breath don't raise your shoulders.
- Do practise blowing long notes into your instrument and holding them. Learning to control your breath is
crucial to good trumpet playing.
Previous | Next