Free Sheet Music, Riffs, Lessons and Tools for musicians who play.
Getting the right set up of mouthpiece and reed is essential to good sax playing.
There are a huge variety of saxophones, mouthpieces and reeds out there, so it's well worth getting a qualified person to
help you out with the right set up.
There are however some things you can check for yourself :
- The reed should be centred squarely on the mouthpiece
- The tip of the reed should be level with the tip of the mouthpiece
- You may find adjusting the ligature slightly up or down improves the air movement through the reed.
- Draw the lower lip back over the teeth
- Rest the reed lightly on the lower lip
- Make sure the jaw muscles are relaxed
- The upper teeth rest gently on the mouthpiece - without biting!
Previous | Next
8notes in other languages: