What is it?

What is it?

Search Forums: 
What is it?    09:57 on Sunday, April 20, 2008

(23 points)

My oboe instructor makes/tunes my oboe reeds. Every time he scrapes the reeds, he inserts a piece of plastic(?) into the reeds. What's that piece of plastic called? It's a bit wider than the reeds, round on one end and a bit slimmer on the other end.

Re: What is it?    14:03 on Sunday, April 20, 2008

(903 points)

The "plastic thing" is called a plaque. It can be made from plastic or metal. Plaques can also be flat or shaped.

Re: What is it?    14:27 on Wednesday, April 23, 2008

(308 points)

In addition to what Canadian said,

The plaque lets your teacher scrape the tip of the reed w/out damaging the tip (though students can still take chunks out of the tip with dull knives, as can pros). It's a very useful tool. It also helps you to see if the tip is thick enough. There are too many uses for a plaque.

Hope that helps.


This forum: Older: knives for reed making...
 Newer: Third octave

8notes in other languages:

© 2000-2015 8notes.com