Generally, this piece of paper is sold to highly skilled musicians with some performance experience who wish to enhance their resume with a 2 year course of concentration in improving certain aspects of performance on their specific instrument.
The operative phrase here is highly skilled with performance experience. consider it a graduate or post-graduate level additional course of study.
It would seem from the below description that
spelling proficiency and/or proof-reading isn't
a necessarily required attribute for the position of
Director of Admission
Lamont School of Music
Newman Center for the Performing Arts
"Artist Diploma programs are hightly selective, intensive and focused programs of advanced professional studies designed to satisfy the needs of very talented and accomplished musicians of any age, nationality or background. The programs may be completed in a minimum of two years, but may be extended to accommodate candidate's wishes. "
The Artist Diploma will be awarded to candidates that successfully complete the following:
1. Three full-length solo recitals
2. Particpation in at least one chamber music group every quarter of study, and in all performance classes organized by the instrumental or vocal department.
3. Participation in the Lamont Solo Honors Competition (Concerto Competition) and the Lamont Chamber Music Honors Competition.
4. Proficiency exams in music theory and music history (candidates may audit remedial courses in these subject in preparation for these exams).
5. Seminar in Musical Interpretation course.
Candidates may also take additional academic or music courses of their choosing, as elective credit hours."