HI!!! I play the oboe..(duh!) *slaps self on head* So..I'm in full orcestra..and there's this really pretty oboe solo that I want to play. With lots of high notes But..(duhn duhn dhun!) There's this other oboe..who plays louder...and more in tune than me..and my directer wants him to take the solor!! AHH!! He says..that when I play the low notes, I'm in tune, but on the high notes..*draws finger across throat* I go despretly sharp..(oh, I spelled that wrong. Ah, well.)however..he says that if I fix that problem soon..maybe I'll get the solo. I'm 1st chair..and the other guy is 3rd..this is humilating!!! I need help!!!! I really want to play that solo!!
Peace, love, Oboe!!
Re: How do you play high notes in tune?? 01:15 on Wednesday, April 11, 2012
I think tuners are used incorrectly too often; but that's another story. If your high end is sharp then you might try the following (and some of it depends on which key system you are using).
1. RELAX! too often most of us get tense as we go higher, you need to relax as you go higher.
2. Don't bite! my brother used to bite harder as he went higher, he went sharp I didn't.
3. roll your lips out just a little bit as you go up.
4. Try alternative fingerings.
5. Try a slightly softer reed, not a soft reed but a softer reed.
Re: How do you play high notes in tune?? 11:39 on Thursday, April 12, 2012